Cake Decorating Contest Online Application
Official Contest Rules:
1. Entrants must be Amateurs, defined as:
Must not be employed in or accept money for working in the baking or catering industry.
May not have their cake decorating work on display in a commercial bakery or cake shop.
2. Entries can be individuals, team, or family. Only 1 entry per individual, team or family
will be accepted.
3. Entrants will compete in a division based on their skill level, which are defined as such:
Beginner: Just starting to learn a skill or take part in an activity.
Intermediate: Some knowledge of a skill or an activity, but not yet mastered.
Advanced: Very knowledgeable in a skill or an activity, and confident in their abilities.
4. Entrants suspected of misreporting their skill level may be moved into a different
division at the sole discretion of our volunteers and or judges.
5. For the purposes of this competition, a cake will be defined as such: an item of soft,
sweet food made from a mixture of flour, shortening, eggs, sugar, and other ingredients,
baked and decorated.
6. Place the cake on a foil-lined board, or a cake board with a metallic finish.
7. All exterior decorations must be edible with the exception of pillars, plates and
toothpicks/wires to attach decorations to the cake layers and or cake board.
8. Icing: Icing must be edible. (ie: buttercream, whipped cream, fondant, mirror glaze.)
9. All cake entries must solely be the work of the entrant. No buying pre-baked sheet
cakes, pre-mixed icings, or pre-fabricated edible decorations.
10. No cakes displaying “poor taste” will be allowed in the competition. The meaning of
“poor taste” is at the sole discretion of Grandma’s Ceramic Hutch. The Barberton Area
Jaycees kindly remind you that this is a family-friendly event.
11. No electricity, generators, running water, fog, bubbles or flammable items are allowed in the displays.
12. Assigned space in the big tent on the Visitor Center grounds will be available from
3:00pm to 5:00pm for set up. All cakes must be completely set by 5:00pm.
13. Entrants will need to complete a 4x6 card with the following information:
Name of Design (if competing in the Advanced category)
Name of Entrant
Description of Cake: (ie: type, flavors, filling, frosting, etc.)
14. Public Voting will start promptly at 5:00pm. Judging will begin at 6:30pm. Judges will
consider the cake’s overall appearance, originality, and characterization of theme.
PLEASE BE AWARE OF THE FOLLOWING
1. Grandma’s Ceramic Hutch and the Barberton Area Jaycees are not responsible for lost, late, misdirected, damaged, illegible, incomplete, incorrect, or postage due entry applications.
2. Entry constitutes permission to use of winners’, contestants’, applicants’ names and likenesses for event publicity purposes without further compensation.
3. Grandma’s Ceramic Hutch and the Barberton Area Jaycees shall have rights to illustrations, photos, and videos of applicant submissions and contest images for promotional use without further compensation.
4. The entrant(s) agrees to defend, indemnify and hold harmless Grandma’s Ceramic Hutch and the Barberton Area Jaycees against any liability, claim, loss or expense arising out of any injury or damage which is caused by, arises from or is any way connected with participation in this event. Grandma’s Ceramic Hutch, the Barberton Area Jaycees, our judges, sponsors, and volunteers will not be responsible for accidents or losses that may occur to any entrant at the cake decorating contest. I/We will read and agree to the rules for this event before completing the online application.
These contests are operated by Grandma's Ceramic Hutch located at 148 2nd St NW, Barberton, OH 44203. Decisions regarding the operation of the contests, the rules, terms of participant qualifications, selection of winners and method of prize delivery are to be made solely by Grandma's Ceramic Hutch. The Barberton Area Jaycees thank them for providing our guest this entertainment opportunity!